Golden Promise ®™ is a heritage barley variety that dates back to the 1960s. That barley then malted to become Golden Promise®™ malt.
It is predominantly grown in the coastal areas of the Scottish Borders, East Lothian, Fife, Angus and Northumberland. The latter is the most northerly county in England and home to our headquarters in Berwick-upon-Tweed.
We are proud to be the Plant Variety Rights holder for Golden Promise®™. Today, our in-house agricultural merchanting division, McCreath Simpson & Prentice, is responsible for its maintenance and is dedicated to the variety’s sustainability and continued growth.
As a result, we have direct contact with all Golden Promise®™ growers. One of these is Bee Edge Farm, which is located near the villages of Coldingham and St Abbs (aka New Asgard) in the Scottish Borders.
Bee Edge Farm is run by Will Hamilton and, in this video series, we will regularly catch-up with Will’s daughter Annabel. She recently returned to work on the family farm and we’ll chat about the growing season and the challenges that may crop up throughout the season.
Will and Annabel also run operations at the Simpson Family Farm. This farm is located near to Bee Edge Farm and is on the outskirts of the seaside town of Eyemouth.
Golden Promise Growing – Episode 1
In the first episode, Annabel introduces herself and chats about:
- Why the Hamilton family have enjoyed growing Golden Promise®™ for so many years.
- The conditions that have meant Golden Promise®™ is suitable for sowing.
- The importance to them of the barley having a destined market.
Golden Promise Growing – Episode 2
In the second episode, Annabel covers a variety of topics, including:
- The importance of some much-needed rainfall for the crops.
- Trying to prevent the crop from getting powdery mildew.
- A spot of local history dating back centuries!
Golden Promise Growing – Episode 3
In episode three, Annabel talks about:
- The need to spray the crops once the awns appear to prevent yield-robbing diseases.
- Some environmental projects that Bee Edge Farm is involved in.
- How Bee Edge got its name!
- The importance of cattle to Bee Edge alongside the arable side of the business.
Golden Promise Growing – Episode 4
In episode four, Annabel talks about:
- The progress of Golden Promise now it’s turned from green to golden.
- Meeting farming industry standards in order to be able to sell their grain.
- The importance of Farm Safety Week.
Golden Promise Growing – Episode 5
In episode five, Annabel chats about:
- The performance of this year’s Golden Promise now we’re post-harvest.
- How they have to meet specifications set by us here at Simpsons Malt.
- What it means to see Golden Promise used as malt by brewers all over the world.
Subscribe to Simpsons Malt TV!
Want to watch more videos? If so, please head to our YouTube channel.
Find out more about Golden Promise®™ by clicking HERE.