Updated: November 4, 2020
At Simpsons Malt, the health and safety of our staff and business partners is of utmost importance to us.
Since mid-February, we have been issuing regular updates to our staff and customers about the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak and how it may impact the company, which has aligned with advice issued by the Government.
As the country heads into a second lockdown, which is currently scheduled to last until December 2, we would like to reiterate our company COVID-19 guidelines.
Simpsons Malt is categorised as an ‘essential’ business. As part of the food industry, our agricultural merchanting division McCreath, Simpson & Prentice has a role to play in supporting our farming customers in the growing of their crops. For our malting customers, meanwhile, their products go into both the food and drink industries. As a result, the company has remained open throughout the pandemic in order to service our customers.
However, the Simpsons Malt Business Continuity Team – who are meeting regularly to discuss the impact of COVID-19 – have a comprehensive list of measures currently in place to ensure that our employees remain healthy and are always abiding by the Government’s guidelines.
They are as follows:
- Employees who can work from home are continuing to do so. All homeworking staff remain fully contactable, with their landline numbers redirected to their mobile numbers.
- The NHS app supporting the Test and Trace system is being installed and configured on all work-based mobiles, helping to support the company’s COVID-19 Secure arrangements. Staff have also been encouraged to install the app on their personal devices.
- As of November 5, colleagues classed as ‘extremely vulnerable’ and who were asked to ‘shield’ have been asked to not come into work. This will continue to be monitored.
- For colleagues who still need to come into work to support our operations, we are doing everything we can to enable two-metre Social Distancing on our sites, so they are not in a position where they are unnecessarily at risk.
- Sanitising foam/gel and disposable tissues have been made widely available to staff so that they can follow good hygiene practices.
- Managers have implemented plans on how to continue to operate and meet our customer demands with reduced personnel.
- The poster below is on display in many places throughout our sites to make colleagues aware of the COVID-19 symptoms and the protocol they should follow if they feel they are showing symptoms.
- Employee visits to other sites (our own, suppliers, customers or events) have been stopped immediately, excepting those that are for business-critical purposes. Wherever possible, meetings with suppliers, customers or events are to be arranged using available technology.
- Non-essential visits to our sites have also been stopped immediately. Essential visits include contracted works and deliveries, with contractors responsible for ensuring their employees are following company guidelines at all times.
We hope you fully understand the necessity for these measures and apologise for any inconvenience they cause.
Managing Director, Simpsons Malt Ltd